Wi-Fi update

Discuss issues and news related to PIA, Pakistani airlines and Pakistan's civil & military aviation.
razisheikh
Registered Member

Wi-Fi update

Post by razisheikh »

i remember a few months back there was a big media frenzy around PIA having wifi on board - does anyone know the progress of this please?
bigfish
Registered Member

Re: wifi update

Post by bigfish »

i doubt it, and wifi onboard are known to be painfully slow........like those AOL dial-up days.
uzairali
Registered Member

Re: Wi-Fi update

Post by uzairali »

http://www.moremag.pk/2013/12/10/pia-to ... s-flights/

Been exactly 2 days since PIA said they will introduce wifi.

Emirates gives 500mb for $1. Air Canada gives 4 hour flight pass for $14. So there is money to be made.

I am sure if PIA lets some company take all profit from wifi purchases for 1-3 years, they will add the service for free, sort of like BOT with China in economic corridor.

PIA in return gets traffic boost.
uzairali
Registered Member

Post by uzairali »

bigfish wrote:i doubt it, and wifi onboard are known to be painfully slow........like those AOL dial-up days.

It would be good if its slow so people don't start making video calls/voice calls.

Simple whats app will itself be enough, or other application that require small data usage. It will help those who are seated where IFE is not working.

When I flew Air Canada with wifi purchased, I didn't use IFE at all (Except leaving it on maps). I was just messaging on whats app/bbm.

What PIA can do is, instead of offering IFE for every seats, have 10-20 iPads to give on rent on a320s (which serve ME/PK). And provide wifi free/on cost. This way PIA does not have to waste money on maintaining/owning IFE for every seat, save on fuel costs as well. Nowadays everyone who flys in Pakistan has smart phone.
Sherry3002
Registered Member

Post by Sherry3002 »

I messaged Mr. Shujaat Azeem about BMG'S recliners and he replied by saying that Sogerma seats will be installed very soon and wifi/ in flight calls will also be coming within next 5-6 months.
PIA, Emirates, Etihad, Qatar, Lufthansa, BA, Turkish, American, AirBerlin, Thai, Air France, Delta, Korean, Qantas, and many more. :D

uzairali
Registered Member

Post by uzairali »

^ AOA brother

That is very good to hear. Will these seats (any pics) be added to all 777s? I suppose it will be a slow roll out, starting with planes used on routes to UK.

I think he is doing a good job and it is sad the court is stopping his work. Sure PIA isn't 100% good, but the gov't has been in office for only 2.5 years, and we have seen induction of 2 777, 13 a320, 5 atr 72. Plus, all our planes at most of the time are actually flying and not being salvaged for spare parts.
AP-BGL
Registered Member

Post by AP-BGL »

bigfish wrote:i doubt it, and wifi onboard are known to be painfully slow........like those AOL dial-up days.
Well apologies mate, they are 'not'.
Adnan
Sherry3002
Registered Member

Post by Sherry3002 »

Yes. These type of seats:

These will first be rolled out on the 77L, then 77W and 772's. I also agree that Mr. Azeem is doing a great job considering his short tenure. PIA finally seems to be improving.
PIA, Emirates, Etihad, Qatar, Lufthansa, BA, Turkish, American, AirBerlin, Thai, Air France, Delta, Korean, Qantas, and many more. :D

uzairali
Registered Member

Post by uzairali »

^ Good seats!

What will happen to present seats? Will they be sold out?

I think they can do two options with it:
1) Use these are "premium class" seats with slightly cheaper rate. I believe above seats will be as 2-2-2 and premium economy on YYZ/JFK route can be 2-3-2 of 2 or 3 rows. Air Canada premium economy is 2-4-2 on 77W, so certainly PIA can do 2-3-2. Or do like Saudia, 2-2-2 first and 2-3-2 business on 77W.
2) Use these on A310s/A320 with 2-2-2 or 2-2 set, as both have old business seats
3) They can sell these but they will make very little money out of it.

Also Shujhat azeem will be resiging soon..
zainman88
Registered Member

Post by zainman88 »

uzairali wrote:^ Good seats!

What will happen to present seats? Will they be sold out?

I think they can do two options with it:
1) Use these are "premium class" seats with slightly cheaper rate. I believe above seats will be as 2-2-2 and premium economy on YYZ/JFK route can be 2-3-2 of 2 or 3 rows. Air Canada premium economy is 2-4-2 on 77W, so certainly PIA can do 2-3-2. Or do like Saudia, 2-2-2 first and 2-3-2 business on 77W.
2) Use these on A310s/A320 with 2-2-2 or 2-2 set, as both have old business seats
3) They can sell these but they will make very little money out of it.

Also Shujhat azeem will be resiging soon..
Seats in the photo are usually installed in a 1-2-1 config.

To be honest I don't see a problem with the current seats as EK still offers crap 2-3-2 on their 777's too and seem to get away with it. But yes if PK want to compete, 1-2-1 in J is a great start and makes them a serious contender. Even QR don't have 1-2-1 on their 777. Only EY.
uzairali
Registered Member

Post by uzairali »

^

AOA BROTHER

In that case, PIA can install these on 777-200er, and only those that fly ME route. I don't think PIA needs J class for these routes! Even if it is 1-2-1, it would be overkill for routes that are only 3-5 hours long.

BA has 4 seats config I believe, so First, Business, premium economy and economy can be offered on European and NA routes (even Aus/NZ!) and Business and economy on ME/KL/Domestic routes.

Sorry a bit off topic, but lets say offer free wifi to all passengers and PIA can be competing.