RFC Aircraft Meets Accident at Islamabad Airport

Discuss issues and news related to PIA, Pakistani airlines and Pakistan's civil & military aviation.
Abbas Ali
Site Admin

RFC Aircraft Meets Accident at Islamabad Airport

Post by Abbas Ali »

According to news sources, an aircraft of Rawalpindi Flying Club (RFC) crashed on Islamabad Airport runway during takeoff.

Three persons aboard the aircraft received injuries and have been shifted to hospital for medical treatment. One of them is in critical condition.

Airport runway that was closed due to this accident and is now re-opened for flight operations.

Abbas
Dil Dil Pakistan... Jaan Jaan Pakistan

See you at:
Abbas Ali
Site Admin

Re: RFC Aircraft Meets Accident at Islamabad Airport

Post by Abbas Ali »

The aircraft involved in this accident is a Cessna, according to news sources.

There was an instructor pilot and two trainee pilots on the aircraft.

Abbas

See you at:
Abbas Ali
Site Admin

Post by Abbas Ali »

Director General Pakistan Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) has ordered investigation of the accident.

Inspection of flying club's aircraft also ordered.

Abbas

See you at:
A310
Registered Member

Post by A310 »

Any update on the condition of Pilots???
Abbas Ali
Site Admin

Post by Abbas Ali »

The aircraft had climbed to 400 feet before crashing on runway.

Info source: http://tribune.com.pk/story/784479/thre ... d-airport/

Abbas

See you at:
Abbas Ali
Site Admin

Post by Abbas Ali »

Geo News showed photos of the crashed aircraft.

It's Rawalpindi Flying Club (RFC) Cessna 172L Skyhawk registration AP-BEJ. Photos apparently taken after removal of the crashed aircraft from Islamabad Airport runway. The aircraft fell down from the height of 200 feet after takeoff, according to the news channel.

This Cessna was built in 1971 as far as I know. It was registered in Pakistan as AP-BEJ in 1992.

A310 wrote:Any update on the condition of Pilots???
All three occupants of the aircraft are now in stable condition, according to news reports.

Abbas

See you at:
Abbas Ali
Site Admin

Post by Abbas Ali »

The aircraft crashed on the side of runway, according to news reports. Conflicting information about the height it reached before crashing. Height of 100 feet and 200 feet given by newspapers.

The accident happened around 9:40 AM.

Some more photos:

Source: ummat.net

Abbas

See you at:
Squawk_1200
Registered Member

Post by Squawk_1200 »

Since I read about the accident my prayers for their fast recovery. InshaAllah boys will be physically fit and will be back in the saddle again.

Since this was a training flight , from the photos it seems a premature takeoff , airplane must have left the runway and gained little height ,because of insufficient airspeed airplane plunged into ground , nose hitting the ground first.

Investigation of the crash should not be rushed and should not start immediately. , let the guys come out of psychological shock and other fear of aggressive investigation by the authority.

My message for the parents of trainee and instructor is , please do not stop or make them quit flying , all three of them has learn a lot from this accident , trust me it is not going to happen to them again.
Airplane is flown with brain not with stick and rudder.
A310
Registered Member

Post by A310 »

Squawk_1200 wrote:Since I read about the accident my prayers for their fast recovery. InshaAllah boys will be physically fit and will be back in the saddle again.

Since this was a training flight , from the photos it seems a premature takeoff , airplane must have left the runway and gained little height ,because of insufficient airspeed airplane plunged into ground , nose hitting the ground first.

Investigation of the crash should not be rushed and should not start immediately. , let the guys come out of psychological shock and other fear of aggressive investigation by the authority.

My message for the parents of trainee and instructor is , please do not stop or make them quit flying , all three of them has learn a lot from this accident , trust me it is not going to happen to them again.
^With the presence of a qualified FI, it is difficult to digest that they did a premature takeoff. As you can see that the fuselage is twisted, so in my opinion this is the case of wake turbulence. A heavier aircraft must have taken off ahead of them and they might have hurried for their take off. If it was because of insufficient speed, the fuselage wouldn't have twisted. Completely agree on the investigation part.
Abbas Ali
Site Admin

Post by Abbas Ali »

Safety Investigation Board (SIB) report made available on following link:

http://caapakistan.com.pk/Upload/SIBRep ... AP-BEJ.pdf

The Cessna met accident due to wake turbulence of a departing PAF C-130 Hercules.

Abbas

See you at:
TAILWIND
Registered Member

Post by TAILWIND »

Another ordinary report by SIB. Just statement of facts with no detailed analysis as to why this happened. Thrown all blame on the instructor and RFC. No mention, comments or analysis on the role of ATC.
Found below recommendation interesting:
"As per PCAA approved RFC Operations Manual Part-A Issue June, 2006 Page 44, the FI should have 1000 hours total flying time and more than 750
instructional hours as his flying experience to be appointed as FI. The same was not complied with in case of involved FI".
raihans
Registered Member

Post by raihans »

TAILWIND wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2017 4:53 amNo mention, comments or analysis on the role of ATC.
ATC was sleeping till the crash landing occurred :!:
Raihan SR Bakhsh

flickr.com/photos/raihanshahzad
EY-B77W, A345, A320, A319, EK-B773, B77W, A388, FZ-B738, GF-L1011, B732, A332, A320, A319, KU-A343, AB6, A310, A320, NL-A320, PK-B707/720, B733, B772, B77L, AB4, A310, A320, QR-A320, A321, A333, A359, A35X, B77W, B788, WY-B738, B739, A333
Guru
Registered Member

Post by Guru »

Another ordinary report by SIB. Just statement of facts with no detailed analysis as to why this happened. Thrown all blame on the instructor and RFC. No mention, comments or analysis on the role of ATC.
Found below recommendation interesting:
"As per PCAA approved RFC Operations Manual Part-A Issue June, 2006 Page 44, the FI should have 1000 hours total flying time and more than 750
instructional hours as his flying experience to be appointed as FI. The same was not complied with in case of involved FI".
Couldn't agree more with Tailwind here. What surprise me is that it took them over two years to produce such a lousy inquiry. In my opinion, the SP should be patted on the back for taking the initiative and asking the IP to extend; but the inquiry is recommending comprehensive refresher ground schooling for both of them.