When is PIA 777 landing gear overhaul due/scheduled?

Discuss issues and news related to PIA, Pakistani airlines and Pakistan's civil & military aviation.
imiakhtar
Registered Member

When is PIA 777 landing gear overhaul due/scheduled?

Post by imiakhtar »

We're at the point where PIA 777s have passed the 10yr in service marker.

10 years of commercial service is usually the point where heavy maintenance becomes due, especially for landing gears which tend to be overhauled around the 10 year mark.

As AP-BGJ/K/L have passed this point, I was wondering if anyone could shed light on the gear overhaul schedule and whether it'll greatly impact PIA flight schedules?
Feel free to add me to your MSN!
TAILWIND
Registered Member

Re: When is PIA 777 landing gear overhaul due/scheduled?

Post by TAILWIND »

It normally doesn't. Airlines make exchange arrangements with MROs/OEM for such requirments. The core goes for O/H and the exchange gets fitted on the aircraft to continue operations.
imiakhtar
Registered Member

Post by imiakhtar »

TAILWIND wrote:It normally doesn't. Airlines make exchange arrangements with MROs/OEM for such requirments. The core goes for O/H and the exchange gets fitted on the aircraft to continue operations.
You're right in saying that is what normally happens - PIA would receive a new/overhauled gear from LH Technik, AK/KLM, United MRO service etc and send the one they stripped.

However, PIA isn't a "normal" airline and given the logistics and past experiences of engine overhaul (tender, transportation, lack of funds etc), it will be interesting to see how things play out.
JayeHussain
Registered Member

Post by JayeHussain »

Lol at the guy who said PIA is not a "normal" airline - I am surprised at the amount of negativity that flies about in this forum - it's like being surrounded with 'high school girls.' PIA is just like any other airline, I am sure they have measures in place to replace parts or maintain parts and keep their aircraft flying.

And please don't come back with a whole list of times that PIA has failed in the engineering department - 'we all know,' however, we are all optimistic that PIA will change and learn from the past, but to keep mentioning their mistakes is almost like you don't want PIA to achieve and always want it to remain in the past!

Anyway to those out there who do care about PIA - let's hope PIA continues to prosper :-) and let's hope they change their landing gear ... as 'abnormal' as the airline is :D .
imiakhtar
Registered Member

Post by imiakhtar »

JayeHussain wrote:PIA is just like any other airline,
How many other airlines have suffered 10 years of successive losses? (Aerolineas Argentina, Air India, any other?)

How many other airlines cancel their flight schedules continuously due to grounded or lack of aircraft? (Not Air India nor Aerolineas)

How many other airlines have had 20% of their fleet grounded due to lack of spares/funds? (Not Air India nor Aerolineas)

Now back to my original point, as no tenders have been issued regarding L/G overhaul/MRO services, I think given that the aircraft are 10+ yrs old and have relatively high cycles on them, my inquiry was fair.
TAILWIND
Registered Member

Post by TAILWIND »

imiakhtar wrote:
JayeHussain wrote:PIA is just like any other airline,
Now back to my original point, as no tenders have been issued regarding L/G overhaul/MRO services, I think given that the aircraft are 10+ yrs old and have relatively high cycles on them, my inquiry was fair.
Again, the airlines 'normally' :D have fixed repair contracts with OEMs/MROs for major jobs like LG O/H. One way could be that the airline pays per landing charges to the MRO and gets OH support plus exchanges as and when required.
For such I don't think a public tender or inquiry is published, its part of routine maintenance operations.
Hashmax
Registered Member

Post by Hashmax »

Landing gears of AP-BGJ/K/L have been overhauled already !
Currently landing gears of ATR's are being overhauled(sent abroad) hence 2 of them are grounded.
When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return !
CPL/IR
Multan Flying Club
F/O A-320
PIAC
altitude
Registered Member

Post by altitude »

@Hashmax
Thanks for the info bro :thumbs_up: