PIA Employees Fear Hiring of Retired Air Force Men

Discuss issues and news related to PIA, Pakistani airlines and Pakistan's civil & military aviation.
Abbas Ali
Site Admin

PIA Employees Fear Hiring of Retired Air Force Men

Post by Abbas Ali »

March 6, 2012

KARACHI:
Leading associations of Pakistan International Airlines (PIA) employees have voiced concern over expected hiring of retired Pakistan Air Force (PAF) employees in the airline, saying the government’s decision will further destabilise the national flag carrier.

Representatives of the Joint Action Committee of PIA Employees (JACPIAE) met recently to discuss this issue.

Presidents of seven associations that make up the Joint Action Committee said there were indications that the government was going to hire retired PAF employees in the airline on top positions from the managing director to other important slots.

Talking to The Express Tribune, General Secretary of the Society of Aircraft Engineers of Pakistan (SAEP), Zakir Farooq, said the PIA employees were getting the impression that a number of retired PAF employees were going to be hired in the airline.

“Based on our previous experience, we can say that this decision will not help the airline,” he said. “PIA needs people who have an experience in commercial aviation.”

Farooq said PIA was a commercial airline that should be run by business-minded people who had some experience in commercial aviation. However, in case of PAF employees, that could not be expected owing to their experience of armed forces.

PIA spokesperson Sultan Hasan, however, said there was a complete ban on hiring in PIA. “No one is going to be hired in the airline,” he said.

He denied having knowledge of any such decision, but said it was up to the government to hire people in PIA.

According to PIA officials, rumours were doing the rounds that the outgoing PAF chief would take over as managing director of the airline and bring his new team comprising retired PAF employees.

Source: tribune.com.pk
Dil Dil Pakistan... Jaan Jaan Pakistan

See you at:
Abbas Ali
Site Admin

Re: PIA Employees Fear Hiring of Retired Air Force Men

Post by Abbas Ali »

rumours were doing the rounds that the outgoing PAF chief would take over as managing director of the airline and bring his new team comprising retired PAF employees.
Chief of Air Staff of Pakistan Air Force Air Chief Marshal Rao Qamar Suleman is retiring on March 18.

Why not give an advertisement in leading local and international publications for hiring PIA Managing Director and then select the most suitable and qualified candidate through interview process?

Abbas

See you at:
Abbas Ali
Site Admin

Post by Abbas Ali »

March 7 - According to Geo News, upon retirement from air force, Air Chief Marshal Rao Qamar Suleman may get appointed as Chairman PIA.

However, according to the news channel, official sources have not confirmed this information.

Chairman PIA designation plate has been removed from office of Defence Minister Chaudhry Ahmed Mukhtar, according to the news channel.

Chaudhry Ahmed Mukhtar was appointed as Chairman PIA in May 2008.

Btw, under current administrative set-up, Chairman PIA appears to be kind of symbolic/honorary post that does not take effective part in day-to-day matters related to the airline.

Abbas

See you at:
Abbas Ali
Site Admin

Post by Abbas Ali »

Chief of Air Staff of Pakistan Air Force Air Chief Marshal Rao Qamar Suleman

March 8 - According to latest report on Geo News, as Chairman PIA, Rao Qamar Suleman will also have powers of Managing Director PIA. Apparently it means both positions i.e. Chairman PIA and Managing Director PIA will be given to Rao Qamar Suleman.

Rao Qamar Suleman will also bring his own team for managing the airline and in this regard a number of former air force officials already have been interviewed.

March 8, 2012, Geo News report.

Abbas

See you at:
Moin
Registered Member

Post by Moin »

I bet they're s***ting bricks now that there is talk of the Air Force taking over. No more political rallies, no more camels draped in political party flags, no more ghunda tactics, no more dancing, singing and screaming over loudspeakers outside the hangar when they should actually be inside working on getting those planes up in the air where they belong, no more political banners, slogans and posters. Their fear is justified and well deserved. Now they will have to stick their tails between their legs and actually get down to some work for a change. They are right that PIA needs people with experience in commercial aviation because right now it seems PIA only has people who are experienced in the above mentioned activities i.e. politics and NOT commercial aviation, so if given a choice between someone who is solely politically motivated and someone with experience in the air force, I will choose the air force any day, any time. Its time these people got a nice big danda up their backsides and prevent this airline from becoming a national and international embarrassment and once the air force takes over, there will not be a damn thing they can do about it.
Moin Abbasi
aj357
Registered Member

Post by aj357 »

Moin wrote:I bet they're s***ting bricks now that there is talk of the Air Force taking over. No more political rallies, no more camels draped in political party flags, no more ghunda tactics, no more dancing, singing and screaming over loudspeakers outside the hangar when they should actually be inside working on getting those planes up in the air where they belong, no more political banners, slogans and posters. Their fear is justified and well deserved. Now they will have to stick their tails between their legs and actually get down to some work for a change. They are right that PIA needs people with experience in commercial aviation because right now it seems PIA only has people who are experienced in the above mentioned activities i.e. politics and NOT commercial aviation, so if given a choice between someone who is solely politically motivated and someone with experience in the air force, I will choose the air force any day, any time. Its time these people got a nice big danda up their backsides and prevent this airline from becoming a national and international embarrassment and once the air force takes over, there will not be a damn thing they can do about it.
+1
You made my day sir! :)
737NG
Registered Member

Post by 737NG »

What a joke ! Moin. Do you think Rao Qamars background in the airforce will allow him to give danda to anyone ? Its not Zia or Musharrafs time anymore. Its a different Pakistan now. The best thing to do is to hand over PIAs management to a consultancy or something like what they did with KESC.
the only time an aircraft has excess fuel is when its on fire
affan
Registered Member

Post by affan »

Possibly Rao is going to become MD PIA or probably secretary Defense. With current MD yousafzai to be posted as ambassador to Egypt In case Rao becomes MD PIA. Shaheen Air Lines is already using services of ex Air chief Qaleem Saadat (don`t know if he is still there or joined Bhoja as defector).

But the decision still varies. PIA engineering had years ago went to successful strike to remove serving(posted) AVM (Air-vice Marshal) as director of the department and allow no AVMs to serve the department in future. Still one AVM serves one of the departments in PIA. Whereas I highlight previous heroes including Malik Nur Khan who devoted his life to Pakistan, PIA and PAF.
Moin
Registered Member

Post by Moin »

737NG wrote:What a joke ! Moin. Do you think Rao Qamars background in the airforce will allow him to give danda to anyone ? Its not Zia or Musharrafs time anymore. Its a different Pakistan now. The best thing to do is to hand over PIAs management to a consultancy or something like what they did with KESC.
PIA has always done better under the management of AVM's. It makes no difference who's Govt it is and PIA did much better in times of Military rule and if the induction of air force personnel can result in a drastic change to this 'Politically Incompetent Airline' then I'm all for it.
Moin Abbasi
EinsteinMux
Registered Member

Post by EinsteinMux »

Moin wrote:
737NG wrote:What a joke ! Moin. Do you think Rao Qamars background in the airforce will allow him to give danda to anyone ? Its not Zia or Musharrafs time anymore. Its a different Pakistan now. The best thing to do is to hand over PIAs management to a consultancy or something like what they did with KESC.
PIA has always done better under the management of AVM's. It makes no difference who's Govt it is and PIA did much better in times of Military rule and if the induction of air force personnel can result in a drastic change to this 'Politically Incompetent Airline' then I'm all for it.
I partially agree with Moin; management under an AVM would be much batter than the current incompetent "chamcha" management.

I disagree on the drastic change because RQ is no Noor Khan and he is American "Boy" so i see future Boeing inductions in PIA
Moin
Registered Member

Post by Moin »

I disagree on the drastic change because RQ is no Noor Khan and he is American "Boy" so i see future Boeing inductions in PIA[/quote]

So what's wrong with that? PIA has flown Boeing planes very successfully for over 50 years and whether he is 'American' or not makes no difference if it means wiping out this political cancer that continues to kill the airline and inducting more Boeing planes which will do the airline nothing but good.
Moin Abbasi
EinsteinMux
Registered Member

Post by EinsteinMux »

A biased person needs political/nonpolitical “chamchas” and would not succeed in taking out anything let alone "the cancer".

Nothing is wrong with inducting Boeing if it is being done by impartial committee or person after considering all of the factors

having said that, i hope and pray that i am wrong and you are right
Moin
Registered Member

Post by Moin »

I gave up praying for PIA long long ago.
Moin Abbasi
EinsteinMux
Registered Member

Post by EinsteinMux »

I am praying for you being right on this, not for PIA :)
Moin
Registered Member

Post by Moin »

I am honored :wink:
Moin Abbasi