History of PIA - Pakistan International Airlines
Last visit was: Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:26 am It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:26 am

All times are UTC + 5 hours

[ 6 posts ] 
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:57 pm 
Registered Member

PIA should take an idea or a lesson on how to preserve AP-BAT, BAK, A310 and B733 after these aircrafts are retired. We know both BAK n BAT have been retired, maybe BAK might fly again but chances are very slim...Look at how nicely SAA has preserved there B722, B747SP, DC4, DC6 n couple smaller aircrafts. There Constellation "Starliner" is there on the airport preserved. I'm sure PIA can get piece of land enough for there 4 types of aircrafts at some corner of present airport in KHI.

http://www.airliners.net/photo//1683741 ... 7c8fdff75f

http://www.airliners.net/photo/South-Af ... 7c8fdff75f

As a matter of fact Iran Air has preserved B742s, B747SPs, B727s and B707s also at there museum in Mehran or Tehran i think...

Instead of calling scrappers n getting peanuts for such historic aircrafts, hey i'd say B733s are now historic also..

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 4:48 pm 
Registered Member

PIA can't handle the present and you expect them to preserve the past?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:22 am 
Registered Member

Moin wrote:
PIA can't handle the present and you expect them to preserve the past?

Yes!, if PIA can buy A310s and another set of 5 B/N B77W's then i'm 100% sure they can preserve 4 of there old planes without any problems. A different mind set is needed to do that. Plus preservation will not cost anywhere remotely close to buying newer aircrafts and then operation them.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=19905

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:13 am 
Registered Member

Enthusiastic as I am about preserving aviation history, I do think it is something that is outside the scope of PIA's core mission. In other circumstances, yes - great stuff, fantastic. However, when we have an entity that does not have a pot to piss in, much less any idea of how to run its core ops, I think this is not a project the Pakistan government and by extension the people of Pakistan need to foot the bill for. Great idea though.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 3:10 am 
Registered Member

Nope, they will never do it, which is precisely why I questioned it. PIA does not have that sense of heritage and preservation. They did for a time when a few 720B's and Fokkers were and still are on display at various locations but that was just a temporary period, otherwise we would still have a Super Connie, Viscount and maybe even DC-3 around somewhere. I have always wished I could see BAK taking off for one last albeit short flight and landing at PAF Base Faisal and being towed to a permanent parking spot inside the PAF Museum grounds for all to see. Now its all about making money, even if its off dead planes. They will float a tender for the scrapping of BAT and BAK and the highest bidder will come armed with the cutting torches.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 5:38 pm 
Registered Member

Moin wrote:
Nope, they will never do it, which is precisely why I questioned it. PIA does not have that sense of heritage and preservation. They did for a time when a few 720B's and Fokkers were and still are on display at various locations but that was just a temporary period, otherwise we would still have a Super Connie, Viscount and maybe even DC-3 around somewhere. I have always wished I could see BAK taking off for one last albeit short flight and landing at PAF Base Faisal and being towed to a permanent parking spot inside the PAF Museum grounds for all to see.
Well this exactly what we dont want to see happen to atleast BAK!, that aircraft has served extremely well through out its flying life that it will be heart breaking, disgusting and totally un-fail for it to see scrappers n there torches...Is there any possibility that if few of us on here can get together n buy BAK from PIA, put just enough fuel in it to make couple landings if first one had to be aborted for any reason at Faisal Airbase n fly her there, off course first we have to ask PAF Museum if we could display her there.

Moin wrote:
Now its all about making money, even if its off dead planes. They will float a tender for the scrapping of BAT and BAK and the highest bidder will come armed with the cutting torches.

Moin, i'm sure PIA can make a lot more money from people buying tickets to see her then it will get from one shot deal from scrappers!!, it's matter of thinking and making it work...unless PIA is so greedy and will be happy to get few peanuts for it only once and not get a residual income making entity by turning it into a public display....

[ 6 posts ]