History of PIA - Pakistan International Airlines
Last visit was: Wed Nov 26, 2014 7:26 am It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 7:26 am

All times are UTC + 5 hours

[ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 4:30 pm 
Registered Member

It means nearly half of the PIA fleet is grounded. More problems for passengers. Where is Mr. Sultan (PIA Spoke person) now who some weeks before was informing media that only 2 or 3 planes are grounded and there is no Corruption in PIA.

WE can pray for PIA and our Country.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 12:37 pm 
Site Admin

PIA’s sole vendor denied parts’ supply

Javed Mirza

Friday, December 16, 2011

KARACHI:
The sole spare parts vendor of Pakistan International Airlines (PIA), TWA Aviation FZE, has been denied supply of parts by the original equipment manufacturers (OEMs) leaving the national flag carrier in a fix resulting in increased technical problems of the airline’s fleet.

According to a correspondence by TWA to PIA, which is seen by The News, the vendor has informed PIA that it has been denied supply of parts and asked PIA to arrange parts from some other source.

The correspondence relates to parts for new ATR aircrafts on aircraft-on-ground (AOG) basis. It was learnt that the hesitation by OEMs is because that TWA FZE has no credibility or any history of such dealings with manufacturers who alone can supply parts to airline operators or to their recommended vendors.

According to aviation experts, airlines can only use original parts otherwise their insurance cover faces a risk in case of any incident or accident or to qualify for any guarantees offered by manufacturers at the time of delivery.

This is also a requirement for leased aircrafts or aircrafts purchased from the manufacturer or from any other party in case of used aircrafts.

It was learnt that contrary to the claims of PIA that TWA FZE had offered a $700 million credit line, PIA opened an LC (letter of credit) amounting $2.5 million through Summit Bank for supply of parts. Another correspondence between PIA and TWA FZE reveals inexperience of TWA FZE in dealing with such issues.

A source said that the parts were shipped in the name of Summit Bank instead of PIA, which led to delay of two to three days in getting them cleared from the customs.

Airlines all over the world maintain their own inventory of spares to carry out rectification and maintenance at their main hubs. In addition to this they appoint vendors located in proximity to their various international destinations.

PIA made a decision by handing over their inventory to TWA FZE, rather than having a choice of multiple vendors.

Sources said that this was done in 2005- 2006 when the former chairman, Chaudhry Ahmed Saeed was heading the airline. The then DMD AVM handed over the PIA inventory to a company located in UK and appointed it as its sole supplier with right of first refusal.

It may be mentioned here that when an aircraft is on ground and a part is not readily available it is classified as AOG and an airline would rather buy a part at twice or even thrice its normal price tag in order to avoid expenses such as provision of hotels for long delays to passengers, parking charges and consequential ramifications on its schedules.

PIA ended up buying all spares on AOG basis, which led to depletion of allocated maintenance budgets.

Source: The News

See you at:

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 7:24 pm 
Site Admin

Letter to editor published in December 14 edition of English daily 'DAWN'.

Quote:
Ordeal of a passenger

I WOULD like to share with readers my ordeal on Dec 8 and 9 while I was scheduled to fly PIA from Islamabad to Karachi. I was to fly by PK 309 which leaves Islamabad at 7.00pmand used to be one of the most popular flights.

During the day at 4.30pm, I was informed that the flight is delayed and it would depart at 9pm. I thanked God that it is only two hours late. Again a phone call from PIA informed me at about 6pm that the flight has been further delayed and now leaves at 11pm. Before leaving for the airport, I just wanted to reconfirm the departure time. I was shocked to know that the flight was cancelled and PIA did not bother to inform the passengers about cancellation.

The PIA centre, Islamabad, said that PK 309 passengers would be accommodated on the flightleaving Islamabad at 10am the next day. I reminded the agent that it is not the case of accommodation but our priority was to fly as soonest as possible, but all in vain.

Then I was booked for a flight which was departing Islamabad at 2pm and was coming from Chicago and Barcelona. In other words, I had to suffer the whole night till the next morning despite paying the full amount for the ticket which entitles me to travel on the time mentioned on it.

The above incident depicts the lack of discipline, casual behaviour of staff and showing no interest for the august institution.

SADAQAT KHAN
Karachi

Source: DAWN

See you at:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 8:28 pm 
Site Admin

34 Aircraft Available for PIA Flights

Karachi, December 19, 2011:
PIA is maintaining its Domestic and International flight schedule with a fleet of 34 aircraft while 5 aircraft were under scheduled maintenance after completing their required number of flying hours. PIA spokesman said here on Monday.

He said that the operational fleet consist of 9 Boeing 777; 4 Boeing 737; 9 Airbus 310; 6 ATRs while the 6 Boeing 747s are mostly used for Hajj, Umrah and Charter operations. Besides, the Boeing 747s are used for supplementing the scheduled flights in replacement, if an aircraft is taken out of the operations for technical correction and maintenance, as may be the situation for the maintenance of its flight schedule.

It may be mentioned that during the past few days it was being said that 18 and 20 of PIA aircraft have been grounded for technical reasons which is not correct. He asserted that by mentioning such numbers without ascertaining the real facts from the airline tends to mislead and misguide traveling public and PIA customers which is against all norms of healthy journalism. PIA Spokesman concluded.

Source: PIA Press Release (December 19, 2011)

See you at:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 8:33 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
while the 6 Boeing 747s are mostly used for Hajj, Umrah and Charter operations. Besides, the Boeing 747s are used for supplementing the scheduled flights in replacement,

Are these 6 Boeing 747 aircraft:

4 x Boeing 747-300s of PIA.
2 x Boeing 747-200Bs leased from Hellenic Imperial Airways.

The two leased Boeing 747s were to be returned to Hellenic Imperial Airways on December 15, according to a PIA press release issued some days ago.

Abbas

See you at:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:57 am 
Registered Member

The 742 are no more on the schedule, hence must have been returned.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 1:17 pm 
Site Admin

According to local news sources, between August and October 18, 2011, a total of 1197 PIA flights were cancelled, this was disclosed in a written reply submitted to National Assembly on December 19 by Defence Minister and Chairman PIA Chaudhry Ahmad Mukhtar.

These flights were cancelled due to variety of reasons including bad weather, low passenger load, improper/insufficient arrangements and aircraft undergoing maintenance work.

The cancellation of these flights caused a loss of over 410 million rupees to PIA.

Abbas

See you at:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 11:23 am 
Site Admin

PIA foreign station managers fear losing business

Javed Mirza

Thursday, December 22, 2011

KARACHI:
Country managers of the Pakistan International Airlines (PIA), which have been posted at foreign stations, have expressed their dismay over frequent flight cancellations and have warned that airlines business abroad would be affected.

PIA’s station managers in different countries, in their communications with the headquarters, have protested against flight cancellations and delays while predicting loss of business, passengers’ reaction against PIA and local management, punitive actions and fines by airport authorities which are not happy with PIA due to its lethargy, ill-planning and mismanagement.

In the last two months PIA flights were canceled and delayed innumerable times which had annoyed passengers and local airport authorities as well. Station managers have requested the management not to cancel flights anymore else PIA would get bad name in their respective markets and also lose business because in the future public would not trust PIA.

Passengers in Dhaka, Katmandu, Muscat, Dubai, Kuala Lumpur, Delhi, Amsterdam, Copenhagen, Frankfurt and in other European and Middle Eastern countries have already suffered a lot due to flight cancellation, mismanagement, ill-planning and non-availability of aircrafts.

However, Tahir Khalique, PIA’s media advisor, said that there was no question of losing business as the airline has already achieved the revenue target. He said that PIA passengers were committed to the national flag carrier. Though there were some issues lately, but the same had been overcome and there were no delayed or canceled flight in the last 72 hours. However, he did not deny or confirm communications from PIA’s country managers abroad.

According to details, PIA country managers also pointed out that due to cancellation of flights it is also getting extremely difficult for the passengers whose visas or re-entry visas expire and sponsors at the destination also do not take the trouble of attending passengers again and again on different dates.

This result in cancellation of visas and even deportation, they added. As per communications of the foreign stations the delay, cancellation and frequent change of aircraft puts a lot of pressure for adjustments and information to passengers who at time are coming from far flung areas.

Travel agents in these foreign stations are also very much annoyed and are diverting potential traffic to PIA’s competitors. Besides, as per one of the country managers abroad, PIA had to provide hotel accommodation and food until the next connection for the already shifted passengers who were accommodated on other flights.

Sources also said that on December 1st, 2011 around 31 flights were cancelled in a day. PIA had to bear the burden of extra expenses due to hotel arrangements for passengers that could have been avoided by implementing effective planning and scheduling.

Sources said earlier Saudi civil aviation authorities imposed a fine of Saudi riyal 10,000 on the PIA for delay in operating flights between Pakistan and Saudi Arabia. PIA’s reply on the issue was rejected by Saudi authorities as PIA failed to convince Saudi authorities that the delay occurred due to technical failures.

See you at:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 5:24 pm 
Registered Member

today, my uncle booked a flight with Gulf Air on KWI-LHE-KWI sector, he is a regular PIA flyer but due to the current turmoil PIA in, he is not willing to fly with PIA and preferred a middle eastern airline over PIA :(

EY-B77W, A345, A320, A319, EK-B773, B77W, A388, FZ-B738, GF-L1011, B732, A332, A320, A319, KU-A343, AB6, A310, A320, PK-B707/720, B733, AB4, A310

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 6:56 pm 
Registered Member

Passengers in Dhaka, Katmandu, Muscat, Dubai, Kuala Lumpur, Delhi, Amsterdam, Copenhagen, Frankfurt and in other European and Middle Eastern countries have already suffered a lot due to flight cancellation, mismanagement, ill-planning and non-availability of aircrafts

Amsterdam was in the last two months just only one time canceled and that was on the 9th of December. PIA can do better with upgrade their aircrafts on this route. I know people who are going with EK because they don't want to fly with the A310

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 12:01 pm 
Site Admin

News article with information about aircraft grounded or undergoing maintenance work.

Boeing 777-240ER (AP-BGK) is probably undergoing D-Check.

Quote:
PIA’s eight aircraft remain non-operational

Saturday, February 25, 2012

KARACHI:
Eight aircraft of Pakistan International Airlines (PIA) remained inoperative and are parked in the hangers since long, sources said on Friday.

PIA has eight of its planes grounded for maintenance purpose for months. The planes grounded for maintenance included two Boeing 747-367 (reg. Numbers AP-BFV and AP-BFY) for schedule maintenance since October 10, 2011 and January 16 that were supposed to be out of the workshop on November 18, 2011 and February 5, 2012, but they are still parked. Likewise, one Boeing 777-240ER (reg. no AP-BGK) is parked since February 8, 2012 and two Airbus A310-308 (reg. numbers AP-BEC and AP-BEQ) are parked since October 24 and December 28, 2011, the sources said.

Similarly, one Airbus A310-324ET (reg. No AP-BGN) is awaiting spares since November 14, 2011; one Boeing 737-340 (reg. No AP-BCA) parked for shakedown inspection since November 12, 2011 and one ATR 42-500 (reg. No AP-BHH) has been parked for two-yearly inspection since December 14, 2011, they said.

The national flag carrier has earned Rs1.1 billion through its MRO (Maintenance, Repair and Overhaul) business in 2011, but it remains unable to make its planes operational, the sources said.

According to the official statement of PIA released on Wednesday, the MRO business of the airlines is in the expansion phase with an increase in the number of customers from 14 to 40 and that has earned the national airlines Rs1.1 billion in the 2011, while the revenue target they have set for 2012 in the same business is Rs1.4 billion.

Sources questioned the approach of the PIA management as to why they are ignorant to this grounding of eight planes of its fleet since long, while they do not have financial problems because they are earning enough money in this segment as per their claims.

Apart from these earnings, as the management claims, the airlines capabilities in this segment of maintenance and repair have attracted huge grants from international organisations and notably from the United States Trade and Development Agency (USTDA) that has granted PIA Rs58 million.

Abbas

See you at:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:36 pm 
Registered Member

AP-BEQ is back after 2 months of maintenance checks. However it looks like AP-BCA is being cannibalised.

[ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2