USAF Boeing C-17 Emergency Landing at Islamabad Airport

Discuss issues and news related to PIA, Pakistani airlines and Pakistan's civil & military aviation.
Abbas Ali
Site Admin

USAF Boeing C-17 Emergency Landing at Islamabad Airport

Post by Abbas Ali »

A Boeing C-17 Globemaster III of United States Air Force (USAF) - Photo Source: Boeing

Here's news report about emergency landing by USAF Boeing C-17 Globemaster III at Islamabad Airport on September 17.

9/17/2010

A US plane carrying 176 people rescued from flood-hit northern Pakistan Friday made an emergency landing at Islamabad airport, but there were no casualties, a civil aviation official said.

"A US C-17 aircraft reported all its four engines stalled when it was coming to land at Islamabad," Mukhtar Ahmed Butt, a spokesman for Pakistan Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) told AFP.

"The pilot safely landed the aircraft and all 176 passengers were safely evacuated without any injuries," Butt said.

The aircraft was carrying people rescued from the flood-hit northern Pakistani town of Skardu, he added.

The runway was being cleared as the plane had to be towed away, delaying the departure of two domestic flights, Butt said.

Source: msn.com
Dil Dil Pakistan... Jaan Jaan Pakistan

See you at:
Pineapple
Registered Member

Re: USAF Boeing C-17 Emergency Landing at Islamabad Airport

Post by Pineapple »

4 engine stall !!!! :shock:
4 engines 4 long-haul
Abbas Ali
Site Admin

Post by Abbas Ali »

ISLAMABAD - Rescue vehicles surround USAF Boeing C-17 Globemaster III after it made an emergency landing at Benazir Bhutto International Air Port, Islamabad on Friday (September 17) - Photo Source: 'The Nation' (September 18 print edition)

According to following news report, the incident happened due to bird strike/ingestion.

Plane makes emergency landing

RAWALPINDI, Sept 17:
A US Air Force C-17 relief plane with 176 flood-hit people onboard made an emergency landing at Chaklala Air Base after colliding with a bird, as no one was injured, airport authorities said.

However, the air traffic remained suspended for about two hours at Benazir Bhutto International Airport as the huge plane remained stranded in the middle of runway. Later, pulled by heavy vehicles the plane was removed, the authorities said.

The C-17 engaged in relief and rescue operation was on its way to Islamabad from Skurdu with around 176 flood-hit people onboard made the emergency landing around 4 pm.

Moments after the pilot informed the control tower, emergency services were put in place to handle the situation. However, the plane made a safe emergency landing. No one was reported injured.

Source: DAWN
Dil Dil Pakistan... Jaan Jaan Pakistan

See you at:
ABQ
Registered Member

Post by ABQ »

I saw this A/C flying above Islamabad, but at that time I wasn't aware that it is about to attempt an emergency landing.

It crossed Margalla hills, sector F-7 and G-7 which was a surprise for me because this area is restricted for aircrafts, probably this A/C was allowed because of emergency situation.

I noticed that it was flying at a much higher speed as compared to an aircraft preparing to land. I wasn't aware as to where it is going (heading to approx. 150 degrees over Islamabad), now I feel like it would have turned left to approach runway 30.
Adnan Anwar
Registered Member

Post by Adnan Anwar »

THANKS C-17 Globemaster III, USAF and the flight crew and CAA for brilliantly handling the situation.
Adnan Anwar