History of PIA - Pakistan International Airlines
Last visit was: Thu Dec 25, 2014 1:25 pm It is currently Thu Dec 25, 2014 1:25 pm

All times are UTC + 5 hours

[ 9 posts ] 
PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:55 pm 
Site Admin

I've received following info with photo and scan of a 1972 newspaper clipping from Mr. Abdul Majid Iqbal son of late Captain Pervez Iqbal Chaudhry - the commander of AirBlue flight ED-202 which unfortunately crashed near Islamabad on July 28, 2010.

Captain Pervez Iqbal Chaudhry (right) receiving Pakistan Air Line Pilots' Association (PALPA) award from Director General Civil Aviation Authority Air Commodore (Retd.) Junaid Amin.

Captain Pervez Iqbal Chaudhry and ED-202 – The Facts At Hand

Captain Pervez Iqbal was the youngest sibling of 5 brothers and sisters. He was born on 27th December 1948 and was 61 years of age. His father M. Younas Chaudhry was a civil engineer who was associated with some of the landmark Power and Water Projects in Pakistan namely Warsak, Mangla, Link Canals and Tarbela. Captain Pervez attended F.C. College Lahore before joining the PIA Training Academy. He was an avid sportsman and had won a number of awards at school and college level in Table Tennis, Badminton and Tennis. Post joining PIA, he was also a regular at the PIA squash complex in Karachi.

He got married in 1975 and He is survived by a wife and 5 children (4 boys and 1 girl) and 5 grand children.

This is a brief professional history of Captain Pervez Iqbal Chaudhry. The facts are:

• He joined the PIA flying academy in 1968 to train as an airline pilot.

• He finished his training in 1970 and was first posted in Dacca.

• In the 1971 war, he was rewarded for safely flying an aircraft and 20 passengers from Dacca to Burma; at a time when Dacca airport was under attack by Indian Air Force. The flight was undertaken at tree top and hill top level to ensure that the aircraft was not detected by Indian radar.

Here's scan of related news report published in January 1972. In 1971, Pervez Iqbal Chaudhry was twenty three year old First Officer on PIA DHC-6-300 Twin Otter aircraft.

• He was sent to New Zealand to take delivery of a used Fokker F-27 aircraft and fly it back to Pakistan.

• Early in his career he was based out of Islamabad where he was also Chief Pilot North on the Fokker F-27.

• In his 40 years long career he had accumulated close to 26000 flying hours. No one in Pakistan can boast more flying hours.

• He had accumulated over 1100 flying hours on the Airbus A320 family of aircraft.

• He had been an instructor on every single plane he had flown except Boeing 707/720, which he only flew for a year.

• He was also CAA rated check pilot on Airbus A300 and Boeing 747.

• He had been awarded low visibility flying certificate by PIA and as an instructor he used to train and approve PIA pilots for low visibility flying.

• He had joined AirBlue in April of 2008 at the age of 59.

• He had officially retired from PIA at the age of 60.

• He had a habit of saying 2 rakat namaz nawafil before every flight to pray to Allah for the safety of his aircraft and all the souls on it, including his. He never missed this, even if he forgot this as he could not pray at the unprayable time (sunrise, zawal or sunset) before leaving home, he would do at it at the airport.

• Aside from being borderline diabetic; he kept that in control with diet and exercise, he was in the best of health.

• In May 2010 he had suffered from appendicitis and was treated for it at Aga Khan University Hospital and took a month and a half off from flying to recover fully from it.

• He returned to flying on 16th June 2010 after getting full medical clearance from CAA.

• His last flights before 28th July were on 26th July, Karachi-Lahore-Karachi (ED-406 – ED-407).

• He had over 24 hours of rest before the flight on the 28th of July.

• He was informed on the 27th of July in the evening by AirBlue that the Pilot and the back-up Pilot for ED-202 had sick reported and was requested to take the flight on the 28th of July.

• On the 27th of July he had returned home from the Masjid after Isha and had fallen asleep by 10:15 pm and slept till Fajr.

• He was NOT fasting on the July 28th because of the flight he had that morning. He was always of the opinion that the safety of his passengers and his crew came first!

• He departed for the airport at approximately 6:00 am on July 28th for his flight of ED-202.

• As of today Captain Pervez Iqbal Chaudhry is still missing.

He as a father: To describe him as a father is beyond words. He has given his children the best of the best in every aspect of life. He was extremely loving and caring.

These are the facts. Everything else regarding Captain Pervez Iqbal Chaudhry are rumors and lies. Currently everything regarding the flight of ED-202 is unconfirmed and unofficial.

See you at:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 12:56 pm 
Registered Member

He was informed on the 27th of July in the evening by AirBlue that the Pilot and the back-up Pilot for ED-202 had sick reported and was requested to take the flight on the 28th of July.

The Pilot who should have been on this flight was Captain Aasim ... but because of his late mothers' " CHALEESWAN" Captain Aasim could not fly this flight.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 3:40 pm 
Registered Member

I flew with Capt. Chaudhry from Islamabad to London (videos are on youtube). He allowed me to visit the cockpit in-flight and was a very nice man telling about the pros and cons of his flying life.

He was not in the cockpit at the time of my video as he was praying on board the aircraft (just by the first left door of the 747-300).

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 3:40 pm 
Registered Member

Salam hello

My father Anis Ahmed Sheikh very old good friend close to Captain Pervaiz Iqbal Chaudhry with me AP-BFY B747 PIA LHE-LHR

My wife and me flew PIA's first AP-BGG LHR-LHE with Capt. Pervaiz Iqbal Chaudhry

Captain Pervaiz Iqbal Chaudry is very good excellent wonderful lovely big kind heart nice number one.

My flight AA=American Airlines from ORD to LHR cancelled due to bad weather then rebook another flight 8 hours from ORD to LHR. Captain American 777 told me that NEVER fly bad weather very danger can kill or destroy aircraft.

We miss Capt. Pervaiz Iqbal Chaudhry very much and I LOVE Captain Pervaiz Iqbal Chaudhry very much.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 7:59 pm 
Registered Member

He was obviously a good God-fearing man, a husband, father, and grandfather. But something went terribly wrong on that fateful day. My heart goes out to his family.

I stop reading half-way when I see stories of suicide missions and Blackwater. The other one doing the rounds (and some very sensible people hold this view) is that there was something wrong with the aircraft and rather than crash on top of houses in the Pindi-Islamabad area and kill scores of people he deliberately pointed her towards the Margalla hills in an act of supreme sacrifice.

Give me a break..............

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 2:27 am 
Registered Member

I have flown as his F/O on B737 Airbus A300 Then as Copilot on B747 I have a great respect of him as a pilot and found him a good professional and a very caring Capt .

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 1:05 pm 
Registered Member

I met Marhoom(tears in my eyes to write Marhoom for so dear a friend) Capt Iqbal sometimes in 1981-82 in Dubai.At that time he was a young pilot but with very clear vision and both of us became quick friends and bonded well.Over the next 29 years we met frequently,time permitting as I had shifted to Singapore and he was not always in Karachi when I passed through the city.However,we became close family friends.His family was a source of inspiration for us as he had accumulated tremendouse religious knowledge and a very high degree of maturity.He was a friend in need for his friends even if he was too occupied and I recall several times when he came forward to give his advice or assist in getting a last minute seat on a flight or any other help that he could render.He also clarified several religious myths as he strongly believed that Islam was a straight forward religion and Allah SWT had provided all the guidance needed in Holy Quran Majeed.

On professional front,I flew as a passenger several times with Capt Iqbal and he was a pilot par excellence and gave great emphasis to details with respect not only to flying profession but relating to passenger comfort,inflight handling of passengers,timely departure and arrival and observation of civil aviation rules and regulations etc.

Capt Iqbal was a family man and I could always see the happiness on his face whenever he used to be talking of any of his 5 children.Their achievement gave him a sense of personal success and their difficult time was his burden for which he always looked upon Allah SWT for a solution.

Iqbal Bhai,my whole family will truly miss you.Your ever smiling face will always be in our memory and your pleasure in getting friends around will greatly be missed.May Allah SWT bless your soul in heaven give strength to your family to bear this great loss and vacuum in their life.Amin.
Saeed and family
Singapore

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 6:48 pm 
Site Admin

Received following message from Mr. Abdul Majid Iqbal son of Captain Pervez Iqbal Chaudhry.

"Duaa for Isaleh sawaab of our beloved father, Captain Pervez Iqbal Chaudhry will be held on Friday, 19th November between Asr (4:30PM) and Maghrib at Masjid Mudassir for gents and ladies at 503/A Royal Apartments, KDA-1 Karachi.

The Duaa will be held promptly at 5:30PM.

Those unable to attend please recite Fateha for him."

Abbas

See you at:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:00 am 
Registered Member

Salam

Thank you very much for invite us welcome to visit you for prayer.

We would love to go to your home to see you for prayer but unfortunately I am househusband lookafter my daughter and I drop/pickup her at school. My daughter's school holiday in Decemeber Christmas & New Year and Easter Holiday and Summer Holiday.

I am very sorry apologise that I miss your home and your all family and you. YES I still pray for my HEART love of late Capt. Pervaiz Iqbal Chaudhry very excellent wonderful lovely good person. My salam love best regards to late Capt. Pervaiz Iqbal Chaudhry's wife, sons and daughter and all family.

May God bless all you also I say "Eid mubarak" on 16 or 17 November 2010

Best wishes and kindest regards and love

Umar x

[ 9 posts ]