Question about PIA - Alliance with Air Canada

Discuss issues and news related to PIA, Pakistani airlines and Pakistan's civil & military aviation.

JayeHussain
Registered Member

Question about PIA - Alliance with Air Canada

Post by JayeHussain » Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:53 am

Hi all, I am not too clued up about things with regards to airline and their operations but I just wanted to ask a question with regards to PIA and its operations to the USA. I am totally aware that the US authorities are not allowing PIA to operate direct nonstop routes from Pakistan to USA due to 'security concerns' even though PIA has the capability to do so. Canada however, does allow PIA to operate nonstop services.

I was wondering how economically viable it would be for PIA to join alliances with Air Canada and use Toronto as a hub? So they could potentially offer daily services from PK-Canada with onward connections to New York, Washington, Houston, Los Angeles, Chicago etc etc.

I understand that operating direct nonstop services would be better in terms of prestige etc but the USA are obviously not allowing this and PIA is making unneccessary, time consuming and costly stops in the UK anyway, and at least this way they can get passengers to Canada and they de-plane there and continue their journey onwards and PIA can offer daily connections and pick up lost revenue.

Thoughts from other forum members would be greatly appreciated, but please some of the people on here leave replies that make the person leaving the thread feeling stupid, so just your opinions and thoughts put simply would be appreciated. Many thanks.

Abbas Ali
Site Admin

Re: Question about PIA

Post by Abbas Ali » Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:30 am

^ I've edited topic title 'Question about PIA' and changed it to 'Question about PIA - Alliance with Air Canada' to make topic title more meaningful and descriptive for readers.

Abbas
Dil Dil Pakistan... Jaan Jaan Pakistan

See you at:

aslihan
Registered Member

Re: Question about PIA - Alliance with Air Canada

Post by aslihan » Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:29 pm

Makes perfect economic sense. Both AC and PK will benefit. But given the PK culture, it wont move an inch.

uetflyer
Registered Member

Post by uetflyer » Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:39 pm

aslihan wrote:Makes perfect economic sense. Both AC and PK will benefit.
Why? It would be like teaming a racing horse with a sick dog.

Anyway, Air Canada is already in Star Alliance.

Zulfiqar
Registered Member

Post by Zulfiqar » Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:30 pm

I believe there is bilateral agreement between Pakistan and Canada limiting PK to 3 flights (or 1000 seats). This will need to change.

Canada restricts EK or EY to 3 flights/ week.

behramjee
Registered Member

Post by behramjee » Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:06 am

This wont work as its cheaper to fly PIA-AA via JFK to other U.S. cities.

Plus PIA pax who are only holding USA visas on PAK pspts cannot transit in Canada without a Canadian transit visa!

Pineapple
Registered Member

Post by Pineapple » Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:58 am

According to some sources, YYZ is one of few profitable destination of PIA. Even in the face of competetion from EY and EK, that route is doing well. Why, can some one plz explain? :)
4 engines 4 long-haul

Abbas Ali
Site Admin

Post by Abbas Ali » Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:15 am

^ Apparently due to PIA's non-stop service between Pakistan and Canada with modern Boeing 777-200LR aircraft.

Abbas
Dil Dil Pakistan... Jaan Jaan Pakistan

See you at: