AP-BAK returning???!!!

Discuss issues and news related to PIA, Pakistani airlines and Pakistan's civil & military aviation.
pk757
Registered Member

AP-BAK returning???!!!

Post by pk757 »

One question.....Why is PIA spending soo much money on revamping the 74M???????? Apparently its being converted to PAX config in the Tail zone and now would acommodate a total of 420 passengers...... does this aircraf thave that many cycles left???

Or is it to facilitate the upcoming Hajj operation?
AP-BGL
Registered Member

Re: AP-BAK returning???!!!!!

Post by AP-BGL »

Just to complete Hajj operation with PIA fleet and that they don't have to acquire more aircrafts on lease from other airlines.
Adnan
Nasir
Registered Member

Post by Nasir »

pk757 wrote:and now would acommodate a total of 420 passengers
Maybe that is a clue?!
Abbas Ali
Site Admin

Post by Abbas Ali »

Would PIA Boeing 747-240B Combi (AP-BAK) be ready in full passenger configuration to take part in Hajj operations starting from October 21 this year?

How many PIA Boeing 747s are going to take part in Hajj operations this year?

5 x Boeing 747-300s + 1 x Boeing 747-200B Combi (in full pax configuration)
or
4 x Boeing 747-300s + 1 x Boeing 747-200B Combi (in full pax configuration)

Abbas
Dil Dil Pakistan... Jaan Jaan Pakistan

See you at:
F.K
Registered Member

Post by F.K »

i think 5 743s and one 742
bfv has been kept for hajj and they may carry out the modification soon after
how many 777s are being used for hajj?
F.K
Abbas Ali
Site Admin

Post by Abbas Ali »

Last year, a number of PIA Boeing 747-300s, Boeing 777-200ERs and Airbus A310-300s (leased from Airbus Asset Management) operated Hajj flights between Pakistan and Saudi Arabia.

Abbas

See you at:
AN
Registered Member

Post by AN »

Abbas I Dont believe PIA operated any A310's into Saudi last year. Not leased or its own. For the first time in a few years PIA managed to perform the haj with its own aircraft. A huge accomplishment as the Jumbs did not have a single technical issue the entire operation.
This year they intend to do the same.
Furthermore Saudi Govt places restriction on the size of aircraft entering the country during this busy period. Only aircraft with a minimum pax capacity are allowed in so as to minimize the number of flghts. I am not sure whether this restriction applies to ALL airlines, but it most certainly does to PIA, who therefore do not operate anything smaller than a 777 into Jeddah
Abbas Ali
Site Admin

Post by Abbas Ali »

AN wrote:Abbas I Dont believe PIA operated any A310's into Saudi last year.
Right, I remember last year PIA Boeing 777-200ERs operated Hajj flights from Quetta and Peshawar.

I got it confused with 2007 Hajj operation in which some of PIA Airbus A310-300s that are on ten-year lease from Airbus Asset Management were also used for Hajj flights.

QUETTA - DECEMBER 25, 2007 - PIA's first post-Hajj flight PK-3004 from Jeddah to Quetta with 184 pilgrims onboard seen after landing at Quetta Airport. The flight was operated with Airbus A310-325ET (aircraft registration AP-BGS).

So, is it safe to say that year 2009 Hajj flights between Pakistan and Saudi Arabia will be operated with Boeing 747-300s, Boeing 747-200B Combi (full pax configuration) and Boeing 777-200ERs ?

Abbas

See you at:
zerbaer
Registered Member

Post by zerbaer »

Boeing 747-200B Combi (full pax configuration)
Conversion to full pax would probably involve a host of certification issues including supplemental certificates etc. Please re check that the a/c has actually converted to full Pax.
Ali Hasan
Registered Member

Post by Ali Hasan »

Abbas Ali wrote: So, is it safe to say that year 2009 Hajj flights between Pakistan and Saudi Arabia will be operated with Boeing 747-300s, Boeing 747-200B Combi (full pax configuration) and Boeing 777-200ERs ?
According to the Hajj schedule posted on PIA's website, a mix of Boeing 747s and 777s will be used. It seems the A310s and 737s will only be used to transfer pilgrims from Faisalabad, Rahim Yar Khan, and Sukkur to Karachi. To view the entire 2009 Hajj Schedule visit the following link: 2009 Special Hajj Flights Schedule
Abbas Ali
Site Admin

Post by Abbas Ali »

^ Thank you for flights schedule link.
pk757 wrote:One question.....Why is PIA spending soo much money on revamping the 74M???????? Apparently its being converted to PAX config in the Tail zone
Probably PIA is using cabin walls, ceiling, stowage bins, passengers seats etc. removed from grounded Boeing 747-240B Combi (AP-BAT) or spares source aircraft i.e. Boeing 747-367 (ex-AP-BFX). Using items removed from these two Boeing 747s can help PIA in saving money for conversion work on AP-BAK.
zerbaer wrote:
Boeing 747-200B Combi (full pax configuration)
Conversion to full pax would probably involve a host of certification issues including supplemental certificates etc. Please re check that the a/c has actually converted to full Pax.
I think a Boeing 747-200B Combi can be operated in passenger/cargo mix configuration or in full passenger configuration after completing conversion work according to Boeing Company instructions manual. And, if the conversion work is done according to aircraft manufacturer's instructions then I think, after completion of conversion work, getting approval for aircraft operations from aviation regulatory authority like CAA should not be a problem for the airline.

Here's October 14, 2009, photo sent by forum member Riz showing PIA Boeing 747-240B Combi (AP-BAK) conversion from passenger/cargo mix to full passenger carried out inside Ispahani wide-body aircraft mantenance hangar at Karachi Airport.

OCTOBER 14, 2009 - (L to R) Main deck cargo compartment of Boeing 747-240B Combi (AP-BAK) being converted to passenger cabin section. Note installation of overhead stowage bins. Photo direction is from passenger cabin to tail section.

Here are memorable photos of AP-BAK in Combi configuration i.e. passenger/cargo mix configuration.

Boeing 747-240B Combi (AP-BAK) main deck cargo area. Photo direction is from tail section to passenger cabin barrier/wall.

Photo showing Boeing 747-240B Combi (AP-BAK) with one of its main deck cargo items (a vehicle in this case) at Karachi Airport on July 13, 2006.

Btw, according to a book on Boeing 747, at the time of its delivery as brand new aircraft to PIA in 1979, AP-BAK was in full passenger configuration and also took part in Hajj flights operation in 1979. So, after 30 years, change in configuration to full passenger aircraft for Hajj flights operation would be an interesting repeat of history for AP-BAK which I think is now at the twilight of its career with PIA.

Abbas

See you at:
riz
Registered Member

Post by riz »

This is sort of "mission accomplished" mod. on BAK.

maximum man power utilization with the least resources provided.

cannibalization of spares from sister ships.

successful conversion with in the time period granted by the management and before hajj operation it will go thru a test flight.

lets see when the test flight will be conducted. i am willing to go........ :mrgreen:

furthermore, BFV is standing at bay III and engine guys busy installing powerplants on it.
Last edited by riz on Fri Oct 16, 2009 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
R 1 z .

PK > EK. EI ED FZ WY B6 G9 EY NL QR GF TG PF.
F.K
Registered Member

Post by F.K »

the money aijaz haroon has saved by bringing these aircraft back to life needs to be quantified along with the extra revenue the jumbos have generated from third parties. i m sure its huge.
if this hajj goes as well as the last one i think pia will be able to keep its head out of the water for some time longer, till the govt finalizes a bail out plan. engineering deserves a thumbs up.
F.K
AN
Registered Member

Post by AN »

zerbaer thats the beauty of the Combi that Boeing created, it can be flown as Freighter, All Pax, or both, without too much hassle, certified as all 3.

BAK test flight is scheduled for this weekend. Probably Saturday.
Senior most PIA Capt. Khalid Iqbal to take her up
pk757
Registered Member

Post by pk757 »

well as long as they save money and dont compromise on safety its all good! Hopefully well see her at our local airports agan! :) The jumbos are awesome machines very versityle and ideal for such non schedule high density operations! This would shed the overall work load especially on the 777 fleet as AP-BFV is also being re engined .
Any idea how many cycles are left on it??