CAA To Upgrade Multan International Airport

Discuss issues and news related to PIA, Pakistani airlines and Pakistan's civil & military aviation.
SM
Registered Member

Post by SM »

Hi All,

Just wanted to add to this discussion, the fact that Multan's ILS/VOR/NDB equipped airport's runway 36/18 (9900' X 100') is certified to accept aircraft operations involving types up to Airbus A310 aircraft.

This certification includes both length/width based certification as well as the load classification number (LCN) certification for the runway. However, with this said, it is a known fact that the taxiways (Charlie, Bravo, and parallel taxiway Alpha) to and from the civil apron itself have a much lower LCN which does not permit A310 taxi/parking operations.

The taxiways and civil apron are still fully certified to take the A320 aircraft and at times, have enabled the airport to be used as an alternate for Karachi-Lahore flights operated by private airlines involving A320s.

Regards,
SM
SM
Imran Hassan
Registered Member

Post by Imran Hassan »

Good to hear work is progressing nicely on upgrading the airport perhaps we'll see some international carriers pop up after Phase II e.g. Emirates maybe? What do you guys think?
Abbas Ali
Site Admin

Post by Abbas Ali »

Multan Airport expansion was a long awaited project, the historic city fully deserved an airport with better facilities. The completed project will benefit not only people of Multan but also people from South Punjab who work in Gulf States. I'm sure, with the completion of project, we will see increase in number of international flights from Multan to various Gulf States.

Abbas
Dil Dil Pakistan... Jaan Jaan Pakistan

See you at:
muammar
Registered Member

Post by muammar »

With the prime minister belonging to Multan, this looks more than a possibility now :D
I hope this project does go on and benefit the people of South Punjab.
zainmax
Registered Member

Multan Runway Extension

Post by zainmax »

CAA Pakistan has decided to extend Multan Runway and has created a maintenance plan for the runway of 2 years in which Boeing Operation in Multan will be stopped.
This is being done so that heavy aircrafts can start operation in Multan like A310.
In this period , PIA will be stop its B737 Operation in Multan and will carry its Boeing operations from D G Khan.
Abbas Ali
Site Admin

Post by Abbas Ali »

Work On Multan Airport Expansion To Begin Soon

MULTAN (June 20 2008):
Work on the expansion of Multan airport will begin in the first week of July with an estimated cost of Rs 4.5 billion. The project will be completed in two phases within 30 months. All the Boeing and Hajj flights would be diverted to Bahawalpur and a bus would shift passengers to Multan.

Civil Aviation authorities said that Rs 1.80 billion would be spent in first phase and the remaining amount would be spent on second phase. CAA authorities said that four flights could be handled simultaneously at Multan airport after completion of the project. A 1000-metre to 150-metre wide runway would be constructed and it would handle more than one million passengers besides handling the exports of vegetables, fruits and textile goods worth billions of rupees.

Source: www.brecorder.com

See you at:
Abbas Ali
Site Admin

Post by Abbas Ali »

MULTAN (June 20 2008): [/b]Work on the expansion of Multan airport will begin in the first week of July with an estimated cost of Rs 4.5 billion. The project will be completed in two phases within 30 months. All the Boeing and Hajj flights would be diverted to Bahawalpur and a bus would shift passengers to Multan.
So, only ATR 42 flights during Multan runway extension work?

See you at:
SalamPaks
Registered Member

Post by SalamPaks »

Abbas Ali wrote:All the Boeing and Hajj flights would be diverted to Bahawalpur and a bus would shift passengers to Multan.Source: www.brecorder.com

I need to visit BHV in early July.
What I read into the info above is that I should be able to buy a KHI-MUX-KHI tkt for travel during the first week of July and can pull an overnight in BHV to see my in-laws. That's great! I don't have to go outbound on the ATR and connect in LHE to return to KHI the next day! If I want to stay in BHV, PIA won't do something stupid like make me get on the ground transportation to MUX will they?
jibran.shahid
Registered Member

Post by jibran.shahid »

once sukkur controller told me that they didnt allowed an VIP a320 which was due to arrive from France for benazir funeral due to some appron issues and runway lenght, so it was landed in islamabad. however sukkur can handle PIA 737`s
Abbas Ali
Site Admin

Post by Abbas Ali »

CAA tender notice appearing in today's (June 26) newspaper.

On the Net: www.caapakistan.com.pk

See you at:
Abbas Ali
Site Admin

Post by Abbas Ali »

MULTAN, June 26 (APP): To a question, Advisor to Prime Minister on religious affairs Allama Hamid Saeed Kazmi said that if Multan airport does not facilitate big aircraft then Hajj flights cannot operate immediately from there.

Source: APP

See you at:
Abbas Ali
Site Admin

Post by Abbas Ali »

Multan International Airport Upgradation Ground Breaking Ceremony Held

April 11, 2009 - Multan -
Addressing the international airport ground‑breaking ceremony the Prime Minister said that it is a historic day for the people of Multan and South Punjab that the local airport is being upgraded to an international level so that wide‑bodied aircraft could land and take off from here.

He said direct international flights and cargo flights will operate from this airport, increasing passenger and cargo business manifold.

Syed Yusuf Raza Gilani said that this region is rich in agriculture and culture and has already been declared the heritage city.

He said the international airport will open up new avenues of business for exporting fruits and vegetables to world destinations to earn precious forex for the motherland.

He said the city of saints, mystics and shrines will become a hub of business activity and provide job opportunities to many people bringing prosperity to this region.

The Prime Minister said the beauty and cultural heritage of Multan, which is a 5,000 years old living city like Damascus, will unfold a plenty of attractions for tourists as well.

He stressed upon the enterpreneurs and industrialists to focus on Multan to expand their trade and utilise the enhanced opportunities it will offer after expansion of the airport.

He said handicrafts, ceramics, blue pottery and diverse agricultural produce, if fully utilised, can turn this city and South Punjab into a developed part of the country.

He lauded the futuristic approach of the civil aviation authority which has undertaken this mega project for the people of Multan and South Punjab.

The Prime Minister asked the CAA to build this airport as a state‑of‑the‑art modern facility. He said the PPP coalition government has given this gift to the people of South Punjab which will usher this region in an era of prosperity and accelerated business activity.

He said work on Faisalabad‑Multan motorway has already begun while work on the Multan‑Karachi motorway will start soon.

Earlier, secretary defence Lt Gen Syed Ahtar Ali and director general civil aviation authority Air Commodore Junaid Amin also addressed the gathering.

They thanked the Prime Minister for approving the Multan airport expansion project which will upgrade facilities not only for the domestic flight passengers but for international destinations besides expanding direct cargo flights around the world. It will fulfil the needs of this region till 2030, they observed.

Source: APP

See you at:
PK777
Registered Member

Post by PK777 »

Lets hope its not named after another Bhutto decendant.
haquekhan6
Registered Member

Post by haquekhan6 »

I hope it is an open structure with high ceilings metal and glass.
PK777
Registered Member

Post by PK777 »

haquekhan6 wrote:I hope it is an open structure with high ceilings metal and glass.
hope mate just hope... Im still waiting for ISB to be completed.. inshAllah soon right?