Airbus A310s to be Phased Out from PIA Fleet After Hajj

Discuss issues and news related to PIA, Pakistani airlines and Pakistan's civil & military aviation.
Abbas Ali
Site Admin

Re: Airbus A310s to be Phased Out from PIA Fleet After Hajj

Post by Abbas Ali »

This article celebrating induction of first Airbus A310-300 in PIA fleet appeared in September/October 1991 issue of PIA in-flight magazine Humsafar.

Abbas
Dil Dil Pakistan... Jaan Jaan Pakistan

See you at:
Amaad Lone
Registered Member

Post by Amaad Lone »

In summer of 2014 Thai Airways grounded their five remaining A300-622Rs

All five A300s were built in 1998 and were only 16 years old when grounded, which probably meant that they had some good years left in them

Powered by PW4158s PIA could have taken them up, made them all economy, and used them for Saudi routes, umra and Hajj and some Middle East routes allowing the 777 fleet for Far East, Europe, UK and North America.

A cheap low cost induction to PIA fleet, could have used it till 2019 (five years from 2014).

But poor planing by people who have caused 300 billiion in losses over ten years.
P.I.A

God's International Airline
raheel
Registered Member

Post by raheel »

The lease cost of getting an older aircraft would be very low but it does not justify the extra money spent on incessant maintenance and fuel. When you take an already battered aircraft and put it on high cycle usage, you are gonna burn through a lot of cash. You can probably get spare parts for cheap, but the frequency of maintenance and lack of reliability means that you have an aircraft that requires a lot of downtime, a lot of TLC and a lot of fuel.

Also, the contradiction amongst some members of this forum is just baffling. I am saying this generally and not geared to anyone personally. However, one minute someone is bashing PIA for keeping old aircraft and the next PIA is being bashed for not buying more old aircraft?
uzairali
Registered Member

Post by uzairali »

raheel wrote:The lease cost of getting an older aircraft would be very low but it does not justify the extra money spent on incessant maintenance and fuel. When you take an already battered aircraft and put it on high cycle usage, you are gonna burn through a lot of cash. You can probably get spare parts for cheap, but the frequency of maintenance and lack of reliability means that you have an aircraft that requires a lot of downtime, a lot of TLC and a lot of fuel.

Also, the contradiction amongst some members of this forum is just baffling. I am saying this generally and not geared to anyone personally. However, one minute someone is bashing PIA for keeping old aircraft and the next PIA is being bashed for not buying more old aircraft?

hehe

I can't recall if I said something similar, but I suppose they think that "mitti pao." Do something than nothing. You don't want to get new aircrafts (b787/b777) then get old aircrafts that are newer than our oldest.

I don't mind old aircrafts, because it is maintanance and interior that counts. At the same time, I do think that PIA should have taken those 5 b773, as right now we are doing expensive wet lease and have trouble procuring aircrafts on dry or wet. Sure wet lease payments are monthly, but through exim bank they could be paying similar or less per month on loan and get a brand new aircraft.

By now we would have received all 5 b773.

ANother case is, we do not have a310 replacement and are taking expensive wet/dry leases. So some say why not continue to use "airworthy" a310s and save hundreds of thousands of dollars per month that would be paid for an aircraft for lease?
Abbas Ali
Site Admin

Post by Abbas Ali »

PIA Airbus A310-324ET registration AP-BGP photographed in Beijing on December 30, 2016. Apparently last visit by a PIA A310 to that airport.

Photo link: http://www.jetphotos.net/photo/8469984

Abbas

See you at:
raheel
Registered Member

Post by raheel »

uzairali wrote:
hehe

I can't recall if I said something similar, but I suppose they think that "mitti pao." Do something than nothing. You don't want to get new aircrafts (b787/b777) then get old aircrafts that are newer than our oldest.
I was referring to the suggestion that PIA should have bought Thai A300s.
uzairali wrote: I don't mind old aircrafts, because it is maintanance and interior that counts. At the same time, I do think that PIA should have taken those 5 b773, as right now we are doing expensive wet lease and have trouble procuring aircrafts on dry or wet. Sure wet lease payments are monthly, but through exim bank they could be paying similar or less per month on loan and get a brand new aircraft.
Ex-Im Bank is posed as the 'lender of last resort' and is hence more expensive. They capitalize on the fact that the airline has no one else to turn to.
uzairali wrote: By now we would have received all 5 b773.
That would barely increase frequency whereas massively increase capacity.
uzairali wrote: ANother case is, we do not have a310 replacement and are taking expensive wet/dry leases. So some say why not continue to use "airworthy" a310s and save hundreds of thousands of dollars per month that would be paid for an aircraft for lease?
How do you know the expense of all wet and dry leases?
uzairali
Registered Member

Post by uzairali »

There is a chart posted on average cost of dry lesse/sale of airplane if you google
Abbas Ali
Site Admin

Post by Abbas Ali »

Three PIA Airbus A310-300 aircraft (AP-BGO, AP-BGP & AP-BGR) recently phased out from airline's fleet seen parked at Karachi Airport.

Thank you Rehmat Aslam for sharing!

Abbas

See you at:
raihans
Registered Member

Post by raihans »

^ very nice photograph of the Engineering area, 2 air frames of B737 are also visible along with many others :thumbs_up:
Raihan SR Bakhsh

flickr.com/photos/raihanshahzad
EY-B77W, A345, A320, A319, EK-B773, B77W, A388, FZ-B738, GF-L1011, B732, A332, A320, A319, KU-A343, AB6, A310, A320, NL-A320, PK-B707/720, B733, B772, B77L, AB4, A310, A320, QR-A320, A321, A333, A359, A35X, B77W, B788, WY-B738, B739, A333
AbdulAziz
Registered Member

Post by AbdulAziz »

Great shot ....thanks for sharing

Why PIA Eng. Clean the area opposite of Isphani hanger filled with junks of Aero Asia planes,and PIA old aircrafts
They can get space to maintain active fleet.
Amaad Lone
Registered Member

Post by Amaad Lone »

Grounding AP-BGP and AP-BGR without getting replacement aircraft does not make sense.

With BGO gone after the Tokyo incident they could have used its parts to keep the other two flying for another couple of months until the wetleased 737-800s showed up, maybe keep them for the Kuala Lumpur route.

Three active aircraft gone leaves behind 22 jets for the entire network 11 777s and 11 A320s.
P.I.A

God's International Airline
faisal-777
Registered Member

Post by faisal-777 »

As per some reports on facebook, 2x 737s from Pegasus are arriving tomorrow at KHI. Presumably to be inducted on wet lease to replace A310s ?
Once you have tasted flight, you will ever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward - Leonardo Da Vinci
Abbas Ali
Site Admin

Post by Abbas Ali »

Former PIA COO & Acting CEO Bernd Hildenbrand said that between 2014 and 2016 when Nasir Jaffer was PIA Chairman, the airline approached Airbus to seek A330 aircraft in exchange for airline's A310 aircraft. Airbus did not show any interest in this aircraft exchange/swap deal.

Info source: Monthly Herald magazine November 2017 issue.

Abbas

See you at: